• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit to Furlough 260 Pilot and defer aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/08/spirit-airlines-will-defer-airbus-orders-furlough-260-pilots.html

AIRLINES

Spirit Airlines will defer Airbus orders, furlough 260 pilots in race to shore up liquidity​

PUBLISHED MON, APR 8 20246:37 AM EDTUPDATED MON, APR 8 20245:15 PM EDT
thumbnail

Leslie Josephs@LESLIEJOSEPHS

If other airlines keep hiring at current rates, it may be that attrition from Spirit will take care of that 260 pilots. Many Spirit pilots are actively seeking employment elsewhere so I wouldn't be surprised to see attrition save the furloughs..or greatly reduce them.

It should, but I know many carriers are also reducing hiring numbers dramatically due to delivery issues with Airbus and the PW engine and Boeing having issues with the 737 program. Hopefully attrition saves Spirit from furloughs.

I wonder if the carriers that stopped "hiring" have stopped interviewing too. I suppose that they could still interview, give out CJOs and put them in a pool to await for the dust to settle.

I know some carriers are filling pools. Hiring is definitely cooling. I think companies are waiting and trying to get a read on the Airbus / Boeing issues as well as inflation and maybe a change in administrations. Lots of moving parts right now.

Latest resources

Back