Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
Take a look at the custom work done on this CubCrafters Carbon Cub EX-3 by Johnson Aviation. Impressive work and some much needed improvements to the EX/FX-3 I'd say.

Very nice build going on here! I see he put in a smoke system. Why would he put in a smoke system? Is he planning any aerobics?
Actually.... it's not a smoke system, it's a Smoke and Visual Collision Avoidance System (VCAS). I have one installed in both my previous Supercub and my Current FX3. In the lower level flying environment and and in busy traffic patterns, you can definitely alert your presence for all to see. I can tell you many times I have alerted crop dusters, life flight helicopter's and the random student in the pattern to my presence. It's primary purpose is not aerobatics but visual collision avoidance much as you turn you wig wag strobes on to allow others to see you and hopefully avoid collisions.
Smoke System Kits, Smoke Oil, Accessories and Parts

I'd love to see pictures or a video tour of your VCAS setup @Cubonaut875. Also, is it an easy DIY install or is it complicated?

It is a project to install for sure. Cubcrafters installed mine on the FX3. On my previous Supercub, Dan Byker in Hawarton Iowa installed it - Certified airplane needed a mechanic. If the plane was apart for condition inspection it would be easier. full weight is about 35 lbs. Smoke oil is heavy, empty the system is about 10 lbs. That is definitely a great topic for a video!!

Latest resources

Back